Well it’s the end of Q2 for me and I always reflect and review the past 6 months at this point. Coming out of 2020 we had loads of volatility, Brexit, Trump, Corona and I can see now that I had become a trend chasing junkie….
What caught me out this year was that cognitive bias or hunger…. trading a trend that simply was never going to happen. Discretionary trading is built on repeating patterns with a judgement call, I recognise now that I was getting stuck and then hammered by a range bound GBPUSD, unable to change my mindset fast enough.
I have friendly banter with fellow traders, most of them use an algorithm of some sort and for the majority of the time they do well. However when they reach strategy exhaustion they really, really struggle to adapt and quite a few of them have given up or completely gone off at a tangent. For me it’s not so dramatic, especially at Darwinex. I can make a few tweaks and take a pilots eye view of the market to trade in sync, which is where we are now.
It’s been a great 3 months with my underlying strategy hitting my personal goals each month. Sadly the Darwin WET is still tethered tightly to it’s risk manager and only taking a proportional position which has held it’s 2021 recovery back. Also despite been super consistent I can see I’m not going to be awarded any additional trading funds via DarwinIA anytime soon (currently languishing in 712 position, urggh!).
Quarter is shaping up nicely (in the underlying strategy anyway!) with returns hitting my personal goals of 1% per week. I have remodelled areas I thought were weak spots and that seems to be paying dividends. One point was my over dependence on volatility and trend trading. I have brought back in my range trading methods and compromised entries for better overall trade management. So trading GBPUSD with an ATR of under 100 over a 5 day average no longer confounds me, on the contrary by assessing all my previous trades I think I have found a much better and reliable edge but it does require a lot more patience and discipline than I have ever had to engage before.
Trading with Darwinex can sometimes feel like a never ending weightlifting session. After a few months of managing drawdown the Darwin risk manager seems to go the other way and holds down any kind of fast recovery, this is no good for the trader or the investor.
If an argument can be made to the risk manager along the lines of, “great, protect me from extensive risk if you can but stopping me recover AFTER I’ve taken the hit, well wasn’t it my decision to take the risk in the first place?”
I’ve had this stagnation before with my Darwin WET and it does drive me a bit nuts, with 15% + return in the underlying strategy over the past 120 days (and even this is not actually recorded accurately) I am left once again frustrated with the 6% Value at Risk performance of WET and lack of dynamism from the Darwinex Risk Manager. Having said that it is probably the best at what it does in the “social trading” platforms currently available.
Hopefully we will start to see the risk manager relieve it’s death grip in the next few weeks as my trading history smooths out again and we can return to a reasonable performance more reflective of the underlying trades.
I think Lao Tzu said something like “If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are going.”
I’ve spent time reviewing my strategies which work well for me in my other accounts away from Darwinex and compared them with the performance of the Darwin WET. It is evident that the risk manager works well during times of drawdown but is painfully slow at returning at a rate I find unacceptable to increase more risk for better returns. Any form of flexibility or dare I say creativity is simply SQUASHED!
A long term strategy can and does take days/weeks/months to formulate to get the best return. I think active exposure to the market is evidently penalised at Darwinex, any edge I have with this exposure is quickly eroded with an equity recording at month end. When it comes to pounds and pence the logic doesn’t align with my own trading. If a drawdown is recorded on day 31 it’s printed, price hits target the next month and a high is printed. I re-enter on a different asset and the VAR begins to raise reducing any chance of increasing returns in the Darwin. The lag in the VAR risk manager is impossible for me to accommodate effectively using two of my position and swing trading methods.
I am pulling these parts of the strategy from my Darwin WET and have implemented back into it my day trading methods I used earlier in the year. It will be interesting monitoring the VAR over the next 60 days and the Darwin performance.
The limitations of the Darwinex algorithms are very evident when matched with part of my discretionary style. My capital capacity will likely plummet but the performance will increase for small scale trading.
As for how Darwinex interpret my trading, let us see! I’ll give this project another 9 months before I make a decision on the merits of time spent at this.
We close out September with a +6.11% return on my Darwin asset WET.
All direct USD positions are flat and I will not be planning any overnight exposure until after the presidential election.
The plan for the last quarter of the year is to employ one of my mean reversion strategies on fairly slow moving cross pairs but have enough exposure to GBP and EUR to capture the Brexit swings on the pair as we approach the inevitable death throws of final wrestles in the negotiations.
Depending on how this performs I may well reintroduce my day trading GBP strategy into the portfolio. This is very effective but the duration of the trades normally drags the capacity and divergence of the asset down, thus creating slippage for investors. I’ll review this in the coming weeks after I have made some calculations.
I am still trying to figure out the Darwinex value at risk multiplier. The risk manager appeared to work well during the drawdown I’ve just traded through however it is a double edged sword in that it doesn’t seem to recover fast enough to reward back positive returns. As this is proprietary system I have no information to help me manage this as effectively as I would like, it’s more by trial and error which is not an ideal situation.
One thing for sure is that I will not be chasing it by changing my own strategies. I’ve been there before and will not return to go down that rabbit hole again!
Currently I have two positions building in EURGBP and AUDCAD. They are correlated but provide enough variance to spread my risk. I’ll aim to update mid month with an update on the plan.
Dollar weakness continues to dominate the global currency markets, will the seasonal trend of global accumulation of the greenback pre-election change the course of the decline? The FED printing presses are at full tilt so who knows..?
The weeks still continue to test my strategies and resolve as a trader. You either have already developed a mental toughness to survive or you need to. Dealing with the inner turmoil when things aren’t going to plan is where you need to be on high alert to making decisions on the spur of the moment. It is very easy to do and often (if you are lucky) a confirmation that you have made a good decision when in fact all you were was just lucky. If you make that call, get unlucky, then that is when you can spiral out of control.
As a discretionary trader I plan trades based on systematic entries and the statistics of past outcomes to provide a level of probability for the trade idea. The markets in 2020 will be remembered for testing every trading idea I have ever come across and executed.
Working through sustained and deep drawdowns despite all of the macro and fundamental data being in your favour defies the logic, the intelligence and eventually the endurance you have invested in the time putting it all together. Oh and it costs money!
I have been working my plan to pull back into the green and on every occasion of just about getting there the market draws away from me, literally within a few points…. So the evolution continues to play out with my trading plan and strategies are scrutinised as objectively as I can manage under the circumstances. Each time we should continue to chip away and the evidence of growth is beginning to show its tender shoots of promise.
As we move into Quarter 4 my intention is to eliminate direct USD exposure before the crazy lead up to the US Presidential elections and have positions in cross pairs which can be hedged out nearer the time. The investor value at risk for my Darwin WET has been much too high and I will attempt to bring that back down in the next 3 months.
With Covid, US Elections, futile FED and ECB battles of inflation management, potential regional unrest with Turkey(as well as a failed Lira which Europe has exposure) Brexit and more economic/political pressures for the Euro looming on the horizon we will have to be patient for trade ideas to play out long term and mature in our outlook when trading or investing in such an arena.
August has continued to be a difficult month for me. The dollar weakness has exposed my EURUSD position and the speed of the move up from 1.14 prevented what seemed like an unnecessary hedge at the time.
Part of this reasoning was the extreme exposure of Asset Manager Commitment currently at all time highs. When these extremes get tested it is a reliable sign that a longer term reversal is forming.
We could be at this point at 1.19 or 1.20. The fleeing from USD to Gold and combined with a likely trillion + Euro bailout has maybe contributed to the momentum of the move. I am not convinced that this is a sign of Euro strength and I still feel Euro bearish at least short term.
Comparing EUR with other crosses, especially EURCHF indicates that a EUR bullish outlook isn’t a valid one…yet.
With the Gold rush taking a breather the USD still remains weak as the China trade deal and further Covid stimulus packages are stymied by Washington politics. Although the core fundamentals of the greenback do appear to be strengthening against this bearish backdrop of overall opinion and media consensus.
I am actively re-balancing my USD exposure although whilst we still close below 1.20 currently comfortable managing my position which still has bags of potential for a positive close in August.
Since entering this zone post Covid reaction in March we seem to be in a Pivot zone for the 5th rolling month. Bias is presently neutral for me but I have plenty of scope to continue to trade this pair for the rest of 2020.
From April onwards you can see price settled approximately 60% of the time returning to below 1.5300.
Will we see this gradual squeeze upwards since May continue to find stable support above the 1.5300 level? With levels pegged at 1.5500 and 1.5000 there remains a lot to play with..
We finished June on a 0.73% return on a fairly flat but stable month. I had 6 trades close for the month and have 7 trades which are rolled over into July so we should see a pick up in volatility for my Darwin asset WET early on in the month of July.
With the VAR 6.5% changed implemented by Darwinex at the beginning of the month I decided to segregate my intra-day trading into another account and focus on building a much higher capacity and scalable asset class to handle bigger investments without slippage issues. I can now easily adapt entries and exits within a reasonable margin to accommodate much larger positions.
The underlying strategy produced 4.36% so the new Darwinex VAR model is having an effect on return is it is good that they are offering 3x leverage to compensate giving investors the option of exposure.
July is looking good and I have quite a few options to trade in the planning phased pending execution probably early next week since we have early NFP tomorrow and the US markets closed on Friday.
The plan for April was to track and trade EUR crosses which worked out pretty well for the month with some early results in for EURUSD. I traded only a couple of pairs to limit risk exposure while the markets establish obvious zones for me to assess. So margin use for this month has been conservative.
The huge expansion on EURUSD has set my levels further out than I have ever traded within but this presents me with more opportunity to plan set ups. My current level high of 1.12 takes me back right to Sep 2018 and the sell side level at 1.0627 goes way back to Feb 2017. So until these break I have plenty of price lattitude to play with.
April closed as another profitable month returning a 3.4% on my Darwinex Asset WET. Slightly lower than I anticipated given that my underlying strategy returned 7.83% to my account. This is where the risk manager throttles in or out for the investor and I think it could be accountable to the intra day trades I take on mainly GBP. These trades often have a lower take profit and because of the short timing are inherently more volatile compared to my longer term trades.
I am working on the intra day plan to add bigger take profits to hopefully fill in these risk management interventions.
All in all it has been another great month and May is already lining up on my charts for set ups. I’m looking forward to the next 4 weeks of potential.
I have a theory about investing with Darwinex Asset Classes “Darwins”and being the trader of the Darwin Asset WET I am testing a method of identifying other Assets by “tethering” them to WET.
Using my own metrics and performance data I aim to find similar performing Darwins but with limited correlation in parts of the underlying strategies but crucially with correlation in other elements of the strategy.
Additionally I will be using a fractional investment method over a period of time to allocate the $15K demo margin to the three Darwins which will be: WET (mine), SYO and HFD.
Monitoring the performance of the traders will be at high level and light touch, as long as consistency and activity is stable I don’t need to spend too much time on this. Perhaps an hour per week. The Darwin Assets will be changed if my criteria isn’t met but ideally this is a last resort due to the short timespan of the test.
The aim of this test is to achieve a return above inflation on cash held over a minimum 3 months to a maximum 7 month period after costs.